Healthy Bison Chili
Ingredients for 5 servings:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 lb 95% lean ground bison (or choice of lean 95% protein or veggie protein)
- PRO-TIP: take a protein veggie patty, chop it up in a skillet and use it like you would ground meat.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt & pepper
- 2 cups unsalted beef stock (or broth)
- 5 heaping tablespoons tomato paste (OR 2/3 cup tomato sauce)
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- Set a nonstick skillet on medium heat. Once hot, toss in oil, garlic, onion and bell pepper. Cook until the onions are softer and brown and slightly translucent.
- Add the meat to the skillet and chop it up as it cooks. As the meat continues to cook, add the seasonings. And continue cooking.
- Pour in beef stock and tomato paste and fold everything together. Reduce the heat to a light simmer, then cover and cook for at least 25 minutes, then allow it to slightly cool off the heat to thicken.
- Garnish and enjoy with your choice of rice, sweet potato, cauliflower mash or plantain!